Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Book Review {April}

 

Last month I read three books.  Each of them was very interesting and thought provoking in their own distinct way.   You can read my other two book reviews for this year here and here

The first book I read was Milk and Honey for my bookclub. 




 This book was different than the novels that we usually read.  Milk and Honey is a book of poetry and it’s divided into 4 sections;  the hurting, the loving, the breaking and the healing.  Each of the chapters serves a different purpose and deals with a different pain.  The first section was about abuse and that was tough to read.  It was a beautiful book and  I’m so glad we read it.  At our book club we read some poems aloud and that was really powerful because they mean so much more when they are spoken.  These are two of my favorites from the book.


“i want to apologize to all the women i have called beautiful
before i’ve called them intelligent or brave
i am sorry i made it sound as though
something as simple as what you’re born with
is all you have to be proud of
when you have broken mountains with your wit 
from now on i will say things like
you are resilient, or you are extraordinary
not because i don’t think you’re beautiful
but because i need you to know
you are more than that” 
 
Rupi Kaur
“i do not want to have you
to fill the empty parts of me
i want to be full on my own

i want to fill so complete
i could light a whole city
and then
i want to have you
cause the two of
us combined
could set
it on fire” 
 
Rupi Kaur



This book is beautifully photographed and has step-by-step instructions to create beautiful projects including beauty products, gifts and beverages.  The book is divided into three sections early, mid and late so you can do projects throughout the gardening season. I also got this book as a gift for my friend Jenn who loves gardening and had a birthday in April.  I love this book so much and plan to make many of the projects highlighted in the book. 

The last book I read was my favorite book this month.  It was a Handmaid’s Tale.



I wanted to read the book before the Hulu series started and I am so glad I did.  I could not put this book down.  It’s very dark and primitive.  This book was published in 1986.  You would think something written 30 years ago would be dated but it is not.  It is a haunting book about life in a futuristic society after women are denied even the most basic civil rights.  There are many similarities to our current government in this book and that was scary to read.  So many people (myself included) take for granted many of the rights and privileges that we have as women in our country.    I was a huge fan of the book until the ending.  I did not like the way she did the ending.  I started watching the Hulu series last night and there are some differences from the book but I really like the series so far-I’ve seen two episodes. 

What have you been reading?  I love getting book suggestions from people.  There are SO many books that I want to read!  I have some good ones lined up for May.

Xoxo

0 comments: