Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Thanksgiving Week {Waco}

I spent the last week with my Dad and my sister Shelby and her family in Waco, TX.  It was hard being away from my own family during Thanksgiving but I loved spending time with my Dad and sister.  I flew in bright and early Last Sunday.  Shelby, my niece Ainsley  and my Dad picked me up at the airport in Dallas.  We had lunch and then we visited the Dealey Plaza and the sixth floor museum in Dallas.  The 55th anniversary of assassination of John F. Kennedy was actually on Thanksgiving Day so it was special to be there and see the museum this past week.  I have read a lot of books about JFK and have seen a lot of documentaries so it was very special for me to see the museum and Dealey plaza.  My Dad and I went together my sister and Ainsley stayed in a little cafe close by while we toured the museum.  The museum was full of pictures and artifacts about JFK’s time in office and from that awful day in Dallas.  While we went through the museum we listed to an audio recording (they gave each person an iPod) and it was so interesting. It was even more special seeing it with my Dad who remembers that day and watching it on TV. 



On Monday my sister had to work so my Dad, Ainsley and I did some sightseeing in Waco.  Our first stop was the national Mammoth National Monument in Waco.  



After the Mammoth monument we headed to Magnolia Market to shop and look around at the Silos.  It was so beautiful and we took so many pictures.  Everyone was so nice and everything was 100% in the Joanna Gains signature Farmhouse style.  Our plan was to each lunch at one of the food trucks but it was so chilly that we went to a restaurant instead. 








After lunch we went to the Dr. Pepper museum which was a lot of fun.  We learned all about soda fountains and how Dr. Pepper got its start in Waco.  After the tour we had Dr. Peppers and ice cream floats in the little gift shop/soda fountain. 


Tuesday we went and visited my sister at work at Baylor.  I loved seeing where she works and meeting her coworkers.  I don’t know how my sister does it all.  She works full time as the Director of Retention and she is going back to school to get her PhD.   I am so proud of her. 


While we were visiting my sister at work Ainsley and I walked over to see the Baylor mascots.  Two bears named Joy and Lady.  They are kept in a habitat on campus.  Ainsley loves visiting them. 



I’ll do another post about the second half of my trip tomorrow.

I hope your Thanksgiving Week was full of family, friends and good food.

Xoxo

0 comments: