Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Crafty Wednesday {succulent pumpkins and thankful tree}

I have a fun project for you today!  I want to show this one because it’s are fall/Thanksgiving themed.  Next week I’ll have one more Thanksgiving craft. I also have some fun ideas for Christmas crafts.   I have so many easy, cute Christmas crafts I want to make this year. 


I’m excited to show you this craft ecause these are perfect for Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is my absolute favorite holiday of the entire year and I hate that everyone rushes over it to Christmas.  I think we should enjoy Thanksgiving first. 😉

{Succulent Pumpkins}



We did succulent pumpkins for our October craft night for Branch and Bloom.  I love working with succulents and pumpkins so I thought this was a fun project. We got mini pumpkins from a local farm stand.



After we got the pumpkins we sprayed them with a clear sealer to protect them.  We wanted them to last until Thanksgiving.  You can get the sealer in the spray paint section at Walmart/Home Depot, etc.



After you spray them they look so pretty and shiny.  Here is a picture where you can see the shiny ness of the pumpkin.  We sprayed ours a few days before class. 



For our class we did topiaries and we hot  glued two mini pumpkins together.  We added moss to the top.  The moss was our planting medium.  You can get moss from any craft store.  We actually got ours at the Dollar Tree because we live in a tiny town without a craft store 😫


When we glued on our moss and all of our succulents we used floral adhesive.  This glue works well for this project because it does not damage the tender roots of the succulents. 
You can buy floral glue on Amazon.  I used the same tube of adhesive earlier this year when I made my succulent bracelet to wear to an event. It really lasts a long time and you can use it for a ton of great projects!  It’s about $10 a tube. 




After you glue on your moss you can start picking your succulents for this project.  In our class we used several large  succulent pots I had been growing all summer. We let people just pick off what they wanted to use.  I love using different plants to give lots of variety in color and texture in the
planting. 



Once people picked out what they wanted they simply glued on their succulents to the moss.







Here is everyone with their beautiful topiaries. 



After our class  also made a bigger one to put in our kitchen.  You can do this project with any size pumpkin.  I made this one about a month ago and it’s still going strong.  After Thanksgiving I will peel the moss off the pumpkin and plant the whole group of succulents in dirt.



Here is a picture of my little topiary.One month later and it’s still going strong!



Happy Wednesday!
Xoxo 

0 comments: