Monday, March 26, 2018

Book Review {March}


This month I read three really great books. They were all different and unique but I love reading different kinds of books about different kinds of people so I really enjoyed them all.
 Two were fiction and one was non-fiction.  I have SO many books I want to read.  It's a good day when I can spend a little time at night reading.  I just love it.!  I am so happy I got through three books this month.




My library has a new online app  called Libby that you can borrow books from. It is fantastic!!  And it's really changed the way that I read.  It's a reading app like a kindle and you read books directly on the app.   You can check out books for two weeks and audio books for one week.  At the end of you time they disappear from your bookshelf in the app.  You can also place holds on books that you want to read.  My actual library has many more titles than what's available in the app but I always check the app first to see if the book I want is there and then I check my library.  If I can't get the book I want from either of those places then I buy the book on amazon.  I honestly am so excited this app is free. All three of the books I read this month I got from the Libby app.  


This month my bookclub read The Last Painting of Sara DeVos.  This book was about the Sara DeVos a painter in the 1600's in Amsterdam.  The book alternates between her story and the story of the couple that owned the painting in NYC in the 1950's, and a art historian who in the year 2000 was living in Sydney Australia.  In the late 1950's the art historian was a struggling art student who painted a forgery of Sara's original painting.  After that her life became intertwined with the painting and the husband whose family owned the painting.  The plot is complicated but the author did a great job of juggling the three story lines.  I honestly loved this book so so much!!  





The next book I read was called Rich People Problems and was the third book in the trilogy of books by Kevin Kwan about crazy, rich Asians.  All three books were so funny and highly entertaining.  There are also a ton of footnotes in the book where the author explains all of the Asian references and phases that he uses throughout the book. This third book starts when the matriarch of the family Sun Yi becomes very ill and the family gathers at the giant family home to say their goodbyes to their beloved grandmother and to jockey for position to see who will inherit her amazing house.  The first book  in the series Crazy Rich Asians is being make into a motion picture that will be released on August 17. I can't wait to see the movie!!



The third book I read this month was a memoir by Jillian Lauren.  It was called Some Girls: My Life in a Harem.  She was paid many thousands of dollars to live at the Palace and party with the Prince of  Brunei and  his friends.  She spent time with the Prince in the mid-1990's and this book talks about her life at the Palace and back in NYC where she lived.  In this book she puts everything out there and I thought she did a beautiful job telling her story.  It wasn't always a pretty story but she told it in her own terms and in her own way.  This month for book club we are reading her second book Everything You Ever Wanted and I wanted to read her first book first before reading the second one.  If you love memoirs I highly recommend this book.  




That's it for me this month.  I have some fabulous books picked out for April and I can't wait to start reading!!  What are you reading?

Xoxo 













0 comments: