Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Book review {September}

I love reading and it’s a happy day when I can spend a little time reading.  September was a crazy, busy month for me at work and in life in general but I was able to read three books last month.





You can read my past book reviews here

The first book I read was Hidden Figures.  The author Margot Lee Shetterly came to campus for our Common Read program.  Common Read is an initiative on campus for everyone to read the same book and discuss it in classes, in small groups, etc.  This year the book was Hidden Figures.  The book was a very thoughtful history of the space program and the women who played a significant role at NASA. The book explores the space program and the women who worked there as human “calculators”.  The book starts in the 1940’s and gives a detailed account of its four main characters-Dorothy Vaughan, Mary Jackson, Katherine Johnson, and Christine Darden-four remarkable women whose contributions to science led to some of NASA's greatest successes.  I learned during her talk on campus that Ms. Shetterly’s father worked at NASA so she grew up knowing these women.  She got a movie deal before the book was published and the rest is history!  I loved this book and am thankful I got the opportunity to see the author when she came to campus.  





The next book I read was for my book club and it was The Woman in Cabin 10.  I couldn’t put this book dow and  to me  it was very similar to Girl on a Train and Gone Girl.
This book is a fictional story of a young female reporter  who goes on a Norwegian Fjords cruise and realizes the girl in the cabin next to hers has disappeared.   I did not know how the book would end and was held in suspense the entire time.  I found this book riveting and I couldn’t stop reading it.  I stayed up late a few nights just to finish this book.  I highly recommend this one!



The last book I read in September was Crazy Rich Asians. by Kevin Kwan.  This book was hilarious!  It’s a fictional story  about a woman named Rachel who lives  a simple life in New York City with her boyfriend. They visit his family in Singapore for the summer and she discovers his family is crazy rich and the book tells the story of his family.  This is the first book in a three part series and the book is currently  being made into a movie.  I loved this book and am currently reading book #2 in the series Rich China Girlfriend.  

That’s my book review for this month.  I hope you are reading some great books. 

Happy reading!
Xoxo

0 comments: