Thursday, August 31, 2017

Book review {July and August}

This summer has flown by and I've lots of fun with family and friends.  I also managed to squeeze in some reading time. I love, love, love to read and there are SO many books that I want to read.  I try and read a little every day and can usually get through a book every week.


You can read my past book reviews here

We read My name is Lucy Barton for my book group. This book is about a girl who grew up in extreme poverty in Illinois.  Most of this book takes place when Lucy is an adult, married with two girls, living in Manhattan.  Lucy develops a mystery infection and her mother comes to stay with her during her hospital stay.  During the visit Lucy's mother shares many stories and gossip from their little town.    We never find out the cause of Lucy's mystery illness but that story line is secondary to the one of love and forgiveness shared by mother and daughter.  

I found Radium Girls at the library and it looked interesting so I checked it out. I love historical non-fiction and this book was so good  to read.  This book told the story of young women who worked as dial painters at watch factories 100 years ago.  At the time the women's didn't realize radium was harmful and they quickly got very sick and started dying.  There were so many heartbreaking stories woven throughout the book it was hard to keep them all straight.  The executives and doctors who worked for the radium company knew it was dangerous but they did nothing to help the women because they would lose business.  It was so hard to read at times because the women died horrible,  painful deaths as a result of their work with radium.  
It was their lawsuits that began the process of holding employers liable for injuries sustained in the workplace.

The Monsters of Templeton was a fun book.  This book told the story of Willie a young woman who comes back to her hometown in upstate New York after moving away for graduate school.  She comes back to town because she fears she is pregnant and she wants to figure her life out.   During her stay in her hometown she does research on her ancestors one of which founded the town.  She uncovers many scandalous secrets while researching her family tree.   This book is also part love story because Willie falls for two men while in her hometown.  It's also part science fiction because when she first arrives in town a lake monster is discovered and that storyline is  woven throughout the book.  This book was set in Cooperstown (called Templeton in the book)  and that was so interesting to me because we live so close to there so many of the landmarks she talks about in the book are familiar.  I loved this book so much I'd like to read other books by this author.

Rules of Civility is a book I read for my book group.  This book is about two young working class women women Katey and Eve and their new friend--  a young, rich banker named Tinker.  The story takes place in 1938 in New York City. The book tells the story of the two women after they meet Tinker and are introduced to the upper echelons of society in NYC.

Theft by Finding is a new book by David Sedaris and is actually excerpts from his diary from 1977-2002.  It was an interesting look back at his life before he was a successful writer.  He spent many years poor and living paycheck to paycheck.  In the book  he talks openly about his drug and alcohol use and the death of his beloved mother.  He suggests that readers don't read the book chronologically but instead flip through the book.  


After I saw his reading last week I had him sign the inside cover of my book.

My favorite book this month was Jackie's girl.  This book was written by Jackie Kennedy's personal assistant who was hired right after Jackie moved to NYC after the death of her husband.  I was so fascinated by this book and I couldn't put it down.  Kathy McKeon tells many stories about her 13 years working with Jackie and her children and about their time in New York and also about summers on Cape Cod.  If you love reading about the Kennedy family you will love this book!


In September the author of Hidden Figures is coming to campus to give a talk so that is one of the books I am going to read in September.


Happy reading.  Have a great Thursday!  

0 comments: