Thursday, February 15, 2018

Book Review {January}

Happy Thursday friends!  I hope everyone had a great Valentines Day.   G and I went to the movies and we saw Three Billboards...I’m trying to see all of the Oscar nominated films this year.  I’ve seen 5 so far and Three Billboards is one of my favorites.  



 This week has flown by! In January I read two books and since I have book club tonight I thought this was a good day to post my January book review.  I absolutely love reading and if I can spend a little time each day it’s a good day.  

Last month I read two books.  The first one I  read Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate.

I thought this book was absolutely incredible and I couldn’t put it down.  Historical fiction is my favorite kind of book to read. This book follows a family of children taken from their parents.  The family lived in a shantyboat on the Mississippi river and there  were very poor but they were a very loving and the parents adored their five children.  When the mom goes to the hospital to have twins the kids  are taken and their story of survival begins.    This book was based on s real place-The Tennessee Children Home Society and a real woman- Georgia Tann who ran the whole operation.  I honestly had no idea about that terrible place or that awful woman until I read this book.  This is a hauting book and one that I keep thinking about.  I think we will have a great discussion tonight at our book club about this book.  

From Amazon
Memphis, 1939. Twelve-year-old Rill Foss and her four younger siblings live a magical life aboard their family's Mississippi River shantyboat. But when their father must rush their mother to the hospital one stormy night, Rill is left in charge--until strangers arrive in force. Wrenched from all that is familiar and thrown into a Tennessee Children's Home Society orphanage, the Foss children are assured that they will soon be returned to their parents--but they quickly realize the dark truth. At the mercy of the facility's cruel director, Rill fights to keep her sisters and brother together in a world of danger and uncertainty.


The second book I read was Fire and Fury:  Inside the Trump White House by Michael Wolff.  There was so much buzz about this book and so much on TV about the release of this book that I started reading it the day it came out.  I was both fascinated by this book and angered by it at the same time.  One year into his presidency, I still cannot believe that Donald Trump was elected.  


From Amazon
With extraordinary access to the West Wing, Michael Wolff reveals what happened behind-the-scenes in the first nine months of the most controversial presidency of our time in Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House.

Since Donald Trump was sworn in as the 45th President of the United States, the country―and the world―has witnessed a stormy, outrageous, and absolutely mesmerizing presidential term that reflects the volatility and fierceness of the man elected Commander-in-Chief.


This month I am reading Beartown and Kevin Zraly's Wine Course.  I really love both books so far. I'll have a full report on both of them at the end of the month.  




Happy reading
xoxo

0 comments: