Monday, February 19, 2018

Happiness Project Update {January}



In December I read the Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.  I decided to do my own Happiness Project this year.  Gretchen chose one theme a month and then spent the month doing things related to that theme.  I chose 6 things to concentrate on for the first 6 months of the year and then I will choose 6 more for the last half of the year.  Here in my post from January about my 2018 Happiness Project.  




 In January I focused my Happiness Project on going to bed earlier (super exciting I know-ha ha)
I wanted to start my year with going to sleep earlier because so much of my personal happiness revolves around sleep. If I am tired I am crabby, I eat more junk and I feel awful.  Getting enough sleep is SO important for keeping myself happy.  

Honestly going to bed earlier wasn't easy for me.  I am the type of person that likes to get a lot of things checked off my to-do list each day and I always want to stay up late to finish one more thing, read a little more, watch one more show, etc.  
In January I forced myself to get into bed each night around 9pm.  I developed a little routine that really helped me transition from wake to sleep. 

These are some things that help me transition to sleep every night...

1-Journal-Every night I write in my journal and write a note for my Happy Things  jar.  



 2.  I put lotion on my feet, spray linen spray on my pillows and sheets and put cuticle oil on my fingers.  



If I have time in the evening I like to do a restorative yoga sequence from the Down Dog yoga app.  The app has step by step instructions and music to go along with the yoga poses.  I love it!  I don't always have time to do yoga at night but I love it when I have the time.  Restorative yoga is great because it is so slow and you hold positions for a few minutes.  In restorative yoga you always concentrate on your breath and breathing.  Doing restorative yoga helps me sleep better at night.  


After I do all of this I get into bed and read for about a half and hour before going to sleep. I I turn my phone on silent and don't answer any messages or go on Facebook or other social media after 9pm.  Sleep is still a struggle for me but doing these things definitely help and I love the little routine I've set up to go to bed earlier.  I really hope I can keep this up all year long!

Xoxo



0 comments: