Saturday, March 6, 2010

trash to treasure!

A few years ago, I got a big canvas picture to go above our desktop computer in our office.  For a while I wanted to get something different but big prints are SOOO expensive so I decided to try to re-do the big canvas that I already had to make it something that I would like looking at while I sit at our desk.

 I got a bunch of black, white, blue and red scrapbook paper at Michael's.  Each piece was 12x12 so I cut them into 6x6 pieces (each piece of scrapbook paper make 4 squares).  I laid out my paper into a pattern that I liked and then I modge podged the scrapbook paper onto the canvas. 

The sides of the canvas were already black so I didn't have to paint them.  This project took only about an hour from start to finish!  Cutting the scrapbook paper squares was the most time consuming part.  I used a paper cutter to make sure all of my edges were straight and using it saved a little time. 


Here is the finished project.  I am so happy with the way it turned out!!




Here are some "in progress" pictures.  I learned that light weight scrapbook paper worked best for this project.  I am not really sure why but it was much easier to work with than the heavier weight paper. 





I am SO happy it's Saturday!!  I hope you all have a great weekend.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Oh my gosh... I never would have thought to cover an old picture. GREAT idea. I love the way it turned out.

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Looks great! And you can cange it any time you change paint colors for less than $2!