Friday, November 6, 2009

Show us your life-Thanksgiving Traditions!!!


Today Kelly's Korner is doing a "show us your life-thanksgiving traditions!  So I thought I would share our traditions.  I LOVE Thanksgiving!  It seems like each year we do something a little different.  Two years in a row we went to NYC to see the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, last year we spent Thanksgiving Day at home,  and this year Brock and I are going to Illinois to visit my family and Ava and Grandma Jan are going to Colorado to see Uncle Garth while Graig stays home to work.

We will have Thanksgiving Dinner together as a family this year the weekend before we leave and these are two dishes that I am going to make


Rice, broccoli, cheese casserole ( I LOVE this!)
1 onion dices
3 tbsp. butter
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup milk
1 (10oz) pkg frozen broccoli
1/2 lb. velvetta cheese, cut up into squares
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
Saute onion in butter.  Combine with remaining ingredients in a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Makes 8 servings

Double layer pumpkin pie (my Dad's recipe) sooooo good!!
4 oz. cream cheese (softened)
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon cold milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1 8 oz. tub of cool whip
1 prepared graham cracker crust
1 can (16 oz.) pumpkin
2 pkg (4 serving size) instant vanilla pudding and pie mix
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp, ground ginger

In a large bowl mix cream cheese, 1 tablespoon milk, and sugar with wire whisk until smooth.  Stir in 1 1/2 cups whipped topping spead on bottom of crust.
In a second bowl stir pumpkin, pudding mix and spices unto remaining milk, beat with wire whisk until well blended (mixture will be thick) spead over cream cheese layer
Refigerate 5 hours serve with remaining whipped topping. 

I just found this thankfulness jar on etsy so I ordered it today, I think it will make a nice addition to our Thanksgiving table this year!  I want us each to write down some things we are thankful for and then we can put them in the jar and talk about them during our Thanksgiving meal.  




Some of Ava's turkey artwork from last year




Our Thanksgiving Table last year.


Have a good weekend!!

4 comments:

BOWquet said...

rice, brocolli, cheese casserole is my fave!!!

Jill said...

Oh YUM... your dad's double layer pumpkin pie sounds SOOO good.

admin said...

Great post! i like the double layer pumpkin pie. Great blog! thanks for sharing.....

Annie said...

Thank you for your recipe for the double layer pumpkin pie! I used it this past weekend and everyone loved it! I gave you a call out on my blog... anniesadventures16.blogspot.com