Saturday, January 6, 2018

Saturday Snack {Jalapeno Poppers}

I made these tasty little treats for my Bunco group.  We were supposed to get together and play this week at my house but it was so brutally cold I cancelled it.  Our weather has been awful! 


I made these little treats before I cancelled.  I spent the next few days eating them.  They are delicious and not too spicy but they have a little kick from the jalapeño and sausage.




Jalapeño Poppers

15 jalapeno peppers

filling:

1lb breakfast sausage (I used reduced fat) 

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 onion, diced

1 teaspoon black pepepr

1 teaspoon cumin

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup cream cheese (I used reduced fat)

1/2 cup shredded cheddar (I used reduced fat) 


Heat olive oil in a skillet and saute diced onion until translucent. Add in sausage  and give it a good stir and cook covered. Wait until it releases and then absorbs its juice. Add in spices and cook for 10-15 minutes covered over low heat. Put it aside.


Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.


Cut the jalapenos lengthwise in half and using a spoon or knife, discard the seeds and veins.


Stuff each jalapeno half first with 1/2 teaspoon cream cheese, saisage and cheddar in this order. Place them on the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.


Serve them hot.


After I cut the jalapeño I used a spoon to get all of the seeds out.




After I had all the jalapeños cut I added the filling and then popped them in the oven.




The poppers were so good, and really easy to make.  I will definitely make them again.  They were the perfect mix of spicy from the jalapeño and sweet from the sausage.  I ate waayyy too many of them when they came out of the oven.  





Let me know if your try this recipe.


Xoxo


0 comments: